Natural Selection Critical Thinking Self-Assessment

In this photo we used a timer to see how many “prey” (candy) I could pick up with my pinky and thumb which represented my beak

I demonstrated that I can collect and analyze evidence by taking photos and describing what is going on in the photos. I also recorded our data on the lab sheet as we were doing the lab, and was able to determine who collected most prey. As well as which coloured candy was collected most often. I recorded how much prey my partner and I got in the white background, black background, and red background. In the Feeding Frenzy lab I recorded the feeding tools and environment for each group member.

I demonstrated that I can collect evidence I collected to big ideas when I answered the discussion questions. They asked me to elaborate of what parts the activity demonstrated Darwin’s main points such as Genetic Variations, Changes in the Environment, Struggle for Survival, Over production of Offspring, Natural Selection. I was also asked to use a real life example of survival of the fittest.

I demonstrated that I can make predictions based on evidence when I predicted how the makeup of the population of insects change over successive generations in the black background environment as well as the white one. I explained that the insects in the black background should mate with the darker coloured ones to pass on that trait and eventually the offsprings will be darker and darker and will be able to blend into their environment to survive.

I demonstrated that I can draw reasoned conclusions because I learned that animals pass on favorable traits that allow them to better survive. I think it is interesting how that is just their instinct. They will choose a mate who is healthy and has the best genes to pass onto their offsprings.

My Virus Project

For my virus project in biology, I chose to research rabies. I used my creative thinking when figuring out how to build my virus model. I thought of a way to make my model stand out. So my partner and decided to use model clay that dries. Before it dried we made it into a shape of a virus, hollowed out the front, cut up pipe cleaners for the spikes of the rabies virus. We then made the made the proteins out of pipe cleaners and added them into the hollowed out front, then labeled the parts. We also designed the pamphlet to make it nice to look at. We found all the information needed, and added them neatly into the pamphlet.