I decided to make welsh cakes for breakfast and my family. In them I added dried black currants which made them taste really good. when I was making them I made them in a big bowl, but later I realized it wasn’t to good because it was too narrow and not wide enough. Since the bowl wasn’t wide enough the butter didn’t get mixed in enough, and some cakes had more or less than others. What also made these more complicated was the fact that my parents have never made them either, so I couldn’t get as much help if I needed it. The final product of these were really yummy, and my mom and I really enjoyed eating them. since I made so many by making them small, we had enough to freeze which was perfect because then we could take them out in the next mornings and heat them up for breakfast.
This was our first home brunch, to do a 3 meal brunch. I did a bubble and squeak with egg muffins, I also did a strawberry banana smoothie. The brunch was difficult for me planning wise, mainly that of being when to start each thing and my time management. My eggs were simple with bacon and Italian seasoning, they were a big hit. the Bubble and squeak was more of a trouble though. I found it challenging to brown the mash potatoes, flip them and get them to stay together. In the end they stuck together, but was a bit crumbly. Over all I got to try new things and learn new things too, and my family really like my meal, so I would say this lab was a success.
This was our last meal we cooked in class be for quarantine. we got to use a lot of great ingredients like bacon, eggs potatoes, turnips and cheese. in this dish I was really able to practice my knife skills, sautéing and use of seasonings ( I ended up giving it a bit more spice then I wanted too). I think next time I make this I would work on my presenting of the dish more, to make it look more appealing. I was really happy with my partner and I because we were able to use our time wisely so that we had time to eat and clean up before the = end of class. In the future I would like to make this again for my family.
This dish was fairly easy to make. We had to choose a vegetable combination to put in our frittata. My partner and I choose peppers, zucchini, and spinach for our frittata and topped it off with feta cheese. With this dish I was really able to work on my knife skills since there were so many vegetables to cut, I also got to practice sautéing. The product standards for the frittata were to be colourful, thick, held together and to be cooked through.
For this recipe we had to do two things, make the crepes and the filling. It was really hard to do the crepes because we had to get the amount of batter right, not too little but also not too much that it would become thick. It was also hard figuring out how long to cook the crepes and also how to flip them n our pans. once we figured this all out we got the hang of making them and they turned out well! For our apple filling it tasted good, but we could have cooked the apples a little more so they were softer and have more liquid. Before we started making these I watched a vide on how to fold the crepes, I decided to give it a try and I would say it worked too!
This is shakshuka it is a breakfast originates from North Africa. I really enjoyed making and eating this dish, it was something new and not very hard to make. The product standards were that it had to be flavourful and tender eggs, which I was able to achieve with my partner. An important step in this recipe was to not burn the spices, luckily we didn’t burn them and we ended up making the dish really spicy too.
This recipe was the beginning of our break fast unit. We did this recipe to learn timing and also so we could see if the egg we made would be the one we would use in our breakfast sandwich. Making this egg for a lab was probably the easiest and my least favourite lab because I have made a lot of eggs in my life, but I still enjoyed eating it. In the end my egg turned out how I wanted it with the yolk a bit cooked but still runny.
This was the first recipe that we had to come up with all on our own, it was a breakfast sandwich. In this we used one of the eggs that we learned and remade the scones form before too. One of the biggest parts to doing this recipe was time management, that was the hardest peart to this lab. My goal was to finish this sandwich on time and meet all of my product standards. I just barely finished my sandwich on time which was very stressful. My product standards were that it would be colourful, good consistency, golden brown scones and to have a smoky smell. My sandwich was al that plus being really big, so I was really happy with that.