Having ‘a’ being negative determines that the parabola is going to face downwards. Having 0<a<1 also tells us that this specific parabola is going to expand by a factor of negative one third. When ‘h’ is negative it shifts right, so when h=-7 the parabolas vertex shifts 7 to the right. When ‘k’ is positive the parabola shifts up, so when k=1 the vertex shifts up one. Together ‘h’ and ‘k’ work to find the vertex of the parabola which is (7,1). Everything changed when my parabolas equation changed. I feel ‘a’ made the biggest difference because it changed to negative so that switched the parabola to face downwards.
I represented the same mathematical equation (shown above under “Blue Parabola”) in graph form, writing the equation and through breaking down and explaining the equation is sentence form. I used mathematical vocabulary throughout my paragraph by talking about the vertex, horizontal shift, vertical shift and my parabolas function. I find keeping my work organized helps me to convey and portray my exact thinking in a clear and concise way. The size of graph I choose to how I laid out my writing all added to how I wanted to share my ideas and thinking.
I chose communication as one of the core competencies that best connected to my dichotomous key button project because of the group aspect. I displayed communication through asking questions, listening to my peers and working well with my partner. Communication is a critical part of group work because without it, the end result would never turn out like you want it to. Listening to each others ideas, speaking our opinions, understanding how we work together and allowing one another to take over at times helped us to collaborate well. I also enjoyed the critical thinking aspects of this assignment as my partner and I constantly had to step back and rethink our decisions. Changing button placements and switching how we looked at our key helped us to come out with the result we did. This project was challenging at times however, I enjoyed thinking outside the box.
Starting this project I chose my friend Tyler as my partner because I already knew we would have good communication and be able to create a positive project. The best thing we did was assign ourselves different sections of the assignment to focus on separate parts. Doing this gave us the ability to both be working during class as well as taking our own parts home to work on. I demonstrated communication through the body biography project we did in my English 10 class. There were times where we disagreed but it was always over something iota and we never had it weigh over us for too long. Overall this project was a complete success and hope I am able to continue growing in all aspects of my learning and development.